Professor Babu’s current research focuses on advanced polymeric materials, which addresses key global challenges of funtional materials, polymer composites, clean water, biobased polymers from renewable resources and production of chemical building blocks using waste as a resource. He has over 17 years of experience in polymer processing, membrane separation, nanocomposites, biodegradable polymers and polymer characterisation. He worked in Clariant Gmbh and Asahi-Kasei Corporation, Japan before joining Trinity College Dublin, in 2003. Currently he is partner in BBI-JU AGRICHEMWHEY flagship project focusing developing the packaging products based on second generation PLA and he is recently funded with EU-China project Mix-Up investigating the conversion of mixed waste plastic to value added products. He is at the forefront of industrial research representing TCD in AMBER Centre of Excellence in Material Science, BiOrbic Bioeconomy Research Centre, DPTC – Dairy Processing Technology Centre, and FHI – Food for Health Ireland. He is co-founder of two spinout companies: Bioplastech Limited (2009), and Selfsense Technologies (2014), and a founding member of Irish Bioeconomy Foundation (IBF). He was recipient of the Trinity Innovator award for 2018.
- 1993-1998: PhD graduate, Chemical Engineering Department, University Department of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India
Measures of esteem:
- 2018: Research Associate Professor, School of Chemistry, Trinity College, Dublin
- 2017: Funded Investigator SFI BiOrbic
- 2013: Funded Investigator, SFI AMBER
- 2010: Investigator, CRANN, Trinity College, Dublin
- 2007: Senior Research Fellow & Centre Manager, Polymer Research Centre, School of Physics, Trinity College
- 2003-2007: Senior Polymer Chemist, Materials Ireland Polymer research centre – worked on developing and implementation of nanocomposites technologies in the Irish polymer industries through support of Enterprise Ireland
- 2001-2003: Research Associate, Asahi-Kasei Corporation, Japan – worked on developing the polymer nanocomposites for various applications such as membranes, packaging, automotive applications, foams etc
- 1999-2001: Executive-Product development & Technical sales in Clariant Gmbh, India – worked on developing and marketing the specialty textile auxiliaries for dyeing, printing and spinning of textiles
- 1998-1999: Postdoctoral Fellow in Department of Polymer Science, University Department of Chemical technology, Mumbai, India – worked on developing the polymer additives based on 1,3-butanediol
- Supervised 22 post-docs and co-supervised 2 PhD and 2 master students.
- Director, Irish Bioeconomy Foundation
- Irish representative for M-ERA NET Strategic Expert group