Professor Guiry’s key professional/work interests include the teaching of (organic) chemistry to third and fourth level students, the training of under- and postgraduate students in synthetic chemistry and the supervision of PhD students, visiting international students and postdoctoral researchers.
Pat’s research group focuses on synthetic organic chemistry, with interests / expertise in both the development of asymmetric synthetic methodology through the design and application of new chiral ligands in homogeneous metal-catalysed transformations and in the total synthesis of compounds of biological interest. His programme includes the use of nature as an inspiration for the design and synthesis of a family of stable lipoxin A4 analogues for the resolution of inflammation. Key skills include the structure identification / confirmation of compounds synthesised / isolated through the application of the full breadth of modern spectroscopic and analytical techniques.
Current projects focus on the conversion of waste material from the agri-food industry into higher value chemicals, the employment of CO2 as a C-1 synthon, the design of novel organocatalysts, the synthesis of potential anti-cancer agents and novel anti-inflammatories.
- 2006-present: Full Professor of Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- 2004-2005: Professor of Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- 2002-2003: Associate Professor of Chemistry
- 1993-2001: Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- 1990-1993: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oxford
- 1990: PhD in Chemistry, University College Dublin
- 1986: BSc (Hons) in Chemistry, University College Dublin
Measures of esteem:
- 2019-present: Vice-President of the Institute of Chemistry of Ireland
- 2019-present: Elected member of Professorial Panel, UCD Governing Authority
- 2019: Graduated 48th PhD student
- 2018-present: Chair of the Board of the Young Scientist & Technology Limited
- 2017-present: Member of the Senate of the National University of Ireland
- 2016-present: Elected Science Secretary of the Royal Irish Academy
- 2015-2017: President of the European Symposium on Organic Chemistry Scientific Committee
- 2011-2014: Head of UCD School of Chemistry
- 2013: Elected a Member of the Royal Irish Academy (MRIA)
- 2013: Awarded the Boyle-Higgins Medal, Institute of Chemistry of Ireland
- 2012: Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC)